Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Mardi Gras, Screwdriver Cake & Christmas Cookies

Not long ago we enjoyed ourselves at at Mardi Gras party. Since it is Shrove Tuesday today, it is high time I mentioned the dessert treats which I made during the after Christmas/carnival period.

1. Screwdriver Cake
The last piece of it is still on the plate - will disappear soon! The cake is really great - light, fluffy and not too sweet (which we regard as a plus considering desserts).
What you need to make this cake:
  • yellow cake mix;
  • instant vanilla pudding;
  • 3/4 cup orange juice;
  • 1/2 cup vodka - the screwdriver;
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil;
  • 3 eggs.
For the icing:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar;
  • 3 TSP orange juice.
You can find the entire recipe here.
Screwdriver cake
 2. Candy Cane Cookies
My first ever - meaning both - made and eaten. I made them with the help of the Candy Cane Cookies mix from Aldi's store. I had been thinking of making this kind of cookies (not necessarily with a mix) for some time but I was not sure what they would be like. I did not know what to expect. Anyway, they came out surprisingly tasty and of a lightly mint flavor. As you can see in the picture below, I decorated each cookie with a few pieces of crushed candy cane only (a bag of candy cane pieces was part of the cookies kit), which made them sweet enough (according to our likes). Next time I will try to make the cookies from a scratch - still quite a lot of candy cane pieces left and ready to be used.
Candy Cane Cookies
3. German Marzipan Cake
Also made with a kit bought at Aldi's. The kit included: cake mix, marzipan filling mix and chocolate glaze mix. I had never made/eaten a marzipan cake before as I am not found of marzipan in general. But the cake was so good and easy to make! I added some raisins to the batter which made the plain marzipan cake a bit more interesting. I will certainly buy this marzipan cake mix at an Aldi store next Christmas too (they have/sell it once a year only - during the holiday season).


However. instead of using the chocolate glaze, I will probably decorate the next Christmas marzipan cake with the icing made of powdered sugar and milk.




No comments :

Post a Comment