Thursday, February 19, 2015

Apple Roses for Lunar New Year


I made these apple roses with the thought of the Chinese New Year, and marking it in a special, dessert way. I chose this recipe by accident, mainly because the procedure seemed simple and the results quite different from what I had made.

What you need to make the apple roses


1. To prepare the apple:
  • 1 sweet apple,
  • 1 TSP honey,
  • 2 TSP granulated sugar,
  • 3 TSP water,
  • a pan.
2. To make the dough:
  • 1 cup flour,
  • 1/2 stick butter.
  • 3 TSP cooked apple water.
3. To brush & sprinkle the apple roses
  • some honey and a kitchen brush,
  • some powdered sugar
  • some cinnamon.
My apple was not red that is why the roses are yellow
While making the roses, I cooked the sliced apple successfully and then decided to taste the cooked water and honey/apple mix. It reminded me the taste of 'kompot' my mum had made. Wonderful taste of home made fruit beverage! And I drank almost all the water before I realized it was needed at the next stage of the recipe. So I added some mineral water to the cooked honey and water mix left in the pot, to have enough to make the dough (step #2). The water mix was still sweet so it all just made the roses lighter, considering the sugar level and calories.
The dough - it was quite easy to make - while rolling it make it rather thinner than thicker, it tastes better when it is baked.
I did not have cupcake molds so I used a greased muffin tin instead. I baked the apple roses at 350F for 18 minutes. Then I tried one - its taste (a bit flat - no honey water :) ) told me I had forgotten to finish them (step #3) so I did that part after baking. The result was still good - the apple roses looked and tasted really lovely - as the lady in the video (below - original recipe) says.

No comments :

Post a Comment