Thursday, March 19, 2015

Another Southern Recipe

I love trying new (to me), traditional, Southern recipes. Of course I am always glad when we are pleased with the results of my tries. Recently, I have mostly made some new/old cakes. The one you can see in the picture is a yellow cake (made from a scratch) - a very useful and easy recipe which can be a basis for various baking creations. The fudge-like frosting reminds me the taste of the Polish fudge called 'Krowka'. All in all, together with the cake, it makes a deligthful (but quite sweet) dessert.
To bake the cake, I used two round 9" meatl tins (baking time was 20 minutes). Unfortunately, when I was making it, I had not enough vanilla extract to add to the frosting, which did not spoil its flavour though. However, next time I will cut down on white sugar, to make the frosting a bit lighter.

I followed the original recipe (with white sugar for the frosting). It was not difficult, you just need to cook and boil the fudge mixture long enough, stirring it all the time. It makes the white sugar dissolve/ change its structure and blend with all the other ingredients. As you can see I put pecan halves on both layers of the frosting. It makes the taste of the cake even more interesting.

The traditional recipe was found here.


No comments :

Post a Comment